Biryani always excites me. The best part is its color! I used to wait for the biryani to get cooked as the aroma fills my home. Thankfully, I had enough leftovers and it was surprising to see the flavors emerged from the biryani the next day. Club the vegetable biryani with onion raita and any fries if required.
You can try any combination of vegetables for this biryani. But, to make sure your biryani turns out fluffy and not soggy avoid using veggies which becomes mushy while cooking like capsicum. I used potato, carrot, beans, cauliflower and green peas which are pretty regular in vegetable biryanis.
This simple biryani can be packed in tiffin box. I have simplified the biryani so that it can be prepared so fast. Biryani made in one instant pan takes it to another level of simplicity. You could prepare this biryani in a pressure cooker which makes the work even easier. But when compared, open pan biryani turns out fluffy than the pressure cooker method. I prefer both method and cook as per your convenience.
Here’s how exactly I make veg biryani.
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for 15 minutes.
- Chop all the vegetables and set aside.
- Heat a kadai with ghee.
- Once ghee melts, add all the ingredients listed under “to temper” and splutter them.
- Add half of the mint and saute them.
- Add the onions and green chili and fry till glossy.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Now add tomato and cook till mushy.
- Add all the spice powders and salt and mix well to combine.
- Add the carrot, beans, potato and cauliflower and cook for a minute.
- Add water and allow it to boil.
- When the water comes to a rolling boil, add in the soaked basmati rice after draining the water.
- Add the peas and remaining mint leaves and close the lid and cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes and then on very low flame for 10 minutes.
- Do not open atonce and wait for some time say 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
- Goes well with raita and gobi 65.
- • You can use any vegetables of your choice.
- • Adjust the spice powders as per your spice level.
- • Add 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of rice.
Ingredients list for cooking vegetable rice.
Soak the basmati rice in water for 15 minutes.
Heat 2 tsp of ghee in a pan. Once ghee melts, add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf, black stone flower, star anise, cumin seeds, peppercorns and r cb saute.
Add the cashews and half of the mint leaves and fry till nice aroma comes.
Add the onions and fry for a minute.
Add the green chilies and fry.
Add the ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell disappears.
Now add tomatoes and cook till soft.
Add all the spice powders – turmeric powder, coriander powder.
Add red chili powder, biryani masala and salt. Fry for a minute.
Time to add the veggies – Potato, cauliflower, beans, carrot and mix well.
Add water and when water comes to a rolling boil, add the drained rice.
Finally add the peas (I am using frozen peas, so added at last).
Sprinkle the rest of mint leaves. Drizzle a tsp of ghee on top.
Close the lid and cook on medium flame for 15 minutes and on very low flame for 10 minutes.
Wait for some time to cool and then open the pan. Add some coriander leaves and serve.
Goes well with raita.