Simple vazhakkai roast is a good accompaniment for hot rice. It can be served as a side dish for rasam sadham and curd rice. We all will usually cook vazhakkai only after boiling it in water till it becomes soft. But my Aunt taught me that vazhakkai is not that much hard and you can fry it directly. Surprisingly, it turns out crispy and flavorful even without pre boiling the vazhakkai. Direct cooking in oil makes it so crispy. Try it and share your feedback.
So, let’s start cooking.
- Peel and cut the raw banana into 1/4 inch thickness.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan and splutter cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add asafoetida and vazhakkai pieces.
- Saute nicely in oil till it is cooked and becomes pale.
- Now add red chili powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Mix everything well to combine.
- Finally add the crushed garlic and saute for a couple of mintes.
- Switch off the flame.
- - If you are not ok, then you can pre boil the vazhakkai in water and follow the same method.
- - Add spice powders according to your spice level.
- - Be generous in adding oil or vazhakkai may burn and darken quickly.
- - Garlic will give a good flavor and taste to this fry. It's optional.
List of required ingredients.
Peel and slice the vazhakkai into 1/4″ thickness.
Heat some oil in a pan and once hot, splutter cumin seeds and curry leaves followed by asafoetida.
Add vazhakkai and saute.
Saute till vazhakkai is cooked well and color changes. It will take around 5 to 8 minutes.
Add coriander powder, red chili powder and salt.
Finally add some crushed garlic cloves.
Vazhakkai roast is ready to be served!