No grand meal is complete without this milky payasam. It is one of the perfect sweet dish to welcome your beloved guests. It is an instant one pot version where the semiya is cooked in milk and garnished with nuts.
There are many types of payasam, but this semiya payasam is the most common dish in every South Indian households. Some like payasam with milk and sugar while some love lentils and jaggery combo. Payasam is traditionally garnished with roasted cashews and raisins and flavored with cardamom pods. It is served both warm as well as chilled. I have used very fine semiya in this recipe. You can choose any size for making the payasam.
Here comes the recipe.
- Heat a tsp of ghee in a pan. Once it starts to melt add the semiya and fry until golden brown. Set aside.
- In the same pan melt some more ghee and fry cashews and raisins separately and set aside.
- Crush the cardamom and set aside.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add the semiya and boil it on medium flame till the semiya is soft and tender and milk got reduced to half of its volume.
- Stir occasionally to avoid from getting burnt.
- Add sugar and stir until it dissolves.
- Finally add in the crushed cardamom, fried cashews and raisins and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot or chilled.
- • You can replace sugar with 1/2 tin of condensed milk.
- • The payasam will become thick as it cools down. Add hot or cold milk before serving to adjust the consistency.
List of ingredients for cooking semiya payasam.
Melt ghee and dry roast the semiya till golden brown. Set aside.
Melt ghee and fry the cashews and raisins separately and keep aside. Crush the cardamom pods and keep it ready.
Boil milk in a heavy bottomed vessel.
Add the roasted semiya and cook till tender and milk becomes thick.
Add required sugar.
Finally add in the crushed cardamom, fried cashews and raisins. Switch off the flame.
Serve warm or chilled.