Seafood especially, prawn is a popular food loved by everyone all over the world. Prawn tawa fry is our family’s favorite starter which we order often while dining at restaurants. Here in Qatar, we used to go Kerala hotels from where I became an addict of this prawn tawa fry. The highlight to this recipe is using coconut oil for frying the prawns. So, whenever I cook seafood, I started using coconut oil and yes, it smells and tastes awesome!!!
Prawn tawa fry is a starter which is marinated in ground spices and shallow fried. Prawn is the main ingredient for this dish so, try to use fresh prawns. I have used small prawns for this recipe. This dish is on spicy side so, adjust the red chili powder to suit your taste. I have added a very little tamarind pulp for a tangy touch. You can skip it if you don’t like it. Sprinkle some rice flour for a crispy fry. Instead, you can add ½ tsp of rava also. Goes well for biryani, pulaos, roti and naan.
Don’t miss this recipe. Just try it out!!
- Clean, peel and de-vein the prawns.
- Dry roast the ingredients given under “to roast and grind”.
- Cool down completely and transfer the roasted spices to a mixer. Grind along with the tamarind extract to a paste. Do not use water.
- Take a bowl and add the ground paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Marinate the prawns for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the rice flour and get ready for shallow frying.
- Heat a tawa and add coconut oil.
- Place the marinated prawns one by one on the tawa and shallow fry them for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle coconut oil in between to avoid prawns from becoming dry.
- Serve hot.
- • Do not overcook as the prawn will become rubbery.
- • Dry roast the dry red chilies separately or it may get burnt.
- • Adding rice flour is optional.
- • You can keep the tails of the prawn intact.
- • You can use regular refined oil if you don't like the flavor of coconut oil.
List of ingredients for cooking prawn tawa fry.
Soak tamarind pulp in 2 tsp of water and extract its juice.
Dry roast peppercorns, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds and dry red chilies on a medium flame.
Cool down completely and transfer this roasted spices to a mixer. Use the tamarind extract to grind it to a coarse paste.
Add the ground paste to the cleaned prawns and coat it well. Let it marinate for 15 minutes. Sprinkle rice flour before frying it.
Heat a tawa. When hot place the marinated prawns one by one on the tawa.
Add coconut oil and fry the prawns till golden. Do not overcook them.
Crispy prawn tawa fry is ready to enjoy!!!