Omapodi is a famous evening snack usually made with chickpea flour. It is called as omapodi because we use omam for making it. Omam is also called as ajwain seeds and carom seeds. Omam has numerous health benefits and it commonly used by babies and adults for treating digestive problem. It can be used in thayir vada, mixture or even enjoyed as plain sev. It is one of the easiest snack recipes which requires no soaking and grinding ingredients.
Freshly ground besan tastes the best than store bought. For making homamade besan flour, sun dry the channa dal for 5 to 6 hours and grind it in a mill. Omapodi can be made with whole ajwain seeds but it may stick in the holes sometimes. Since it is very thin, it gets fried within a minute. Do try this recipe and serve it with a cup of coffee. Let’s start!
- Dry roast omam for a minute without burning it.
- Crush and soak it in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Strain the juice and discard the seeds,
- In a bowl, sieve besan and rice flour.
- Add melted butter, asafoetida, hot oil and required salt.
- Use the strained oma water and form the flour into idiyapam dough like consistency.
- Heat enough for frying.
- Take a handful of dough and fill it in idiyapam maker and test with a piece of dough. If it comes up, then the oil is ready to be fried.
- With the help of oma disc( small holes), drop one big circle into the hot oil.
- Fry on both sides until crispy.
- Add some curry leaves and add this to theomapodi.
- Once it cools down, crush the omapodi with your hands and store it in an airtight container.
- -Use good quality besan flour.
- -No need to knead the dough.
- -wYou can make it thick or tjin as per your preferences.
- -You can replace melted butter with ghee.
- -Do not rest the dough as it will become hard and be difficult to press.
- -In case, if you are finished off with the prepared oma water and in need of more water for kneading, you can use regular water.
Dry roast the ajwain seeds for a minute. Do not burn it.Crush it with a mortar and pestle and add half a cup of hot water to it. leave it aside for 15 minutes. Strain the juice and discard the extract. keep it aside.In a bowl, sieve besan and rice flour.To this, add melted butter, asafoetida, hot oil and required salt. Mix it well without any lumps. Now use the ajwain water and mix the flour to a smooth idiyappam dough like consistency. Do not knead.Take the omapodi disc with small holes and fit in the idiyapa achu. Take a handful of prepared dough and fill in the achu. Heat enough oil for frying and once hot, make a big circle with the dough. Fry on both sides till crispy. Remove it to a paper towel.Add a handful of curryleaves and fry it. Add this to the omapodi.Once it cools down, crush the fried omapodi using your hands and store it in an airtight container.Crispy omapodi is ready!