Murunga keerai poricha kuzhambu is one of the healthiest gravy for rice. This kuzhambu is a filling meal and requires no additional kootu or poriyal. You can add mixed vegetables for making poricha kuzhambu like chow chow, jackfruit seed, bitter gourd, broad beans and so on. If you have drumstick on stock, you can add it to the recipe.
I do not want to elaborate the health benefits of drumstick leaves. In simpler words, the leaves contains 4 times the calcium and twice the protein in milk. Because of the exhaustive list of the health benefits, this drumstick tree is referred as the most generous tree and as “Miracle tree”.
Drumstick leaves are commonly used to prepare poriyal and soup. Try this poricha kuzhambu and you will never forget the taste. Drizzle ghee and have this poricha kuzhambu with hot rice. You will love it and start making it often.
Let’s start making this delicious poricha kuzhambu.
- Separate the drumstick leaves from the twigs, wash it and chop roughly.
- Pressure cook moong dal with a pinch of turmeric powder and crushed garlic till soft. Mash it well and set aside.
- Dry roast coriander seeds, peppercorns, cumin seeds, bengal gram, red chilies and coconut gratings. Cool and grind everything to a fine paste adding little water.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan. Once hot, splutter the fenugreek seeds and green chilies
- Add the drumstick leaves and stir fry for a minute.
- Now add the mashed dal, coconut paste, salt and ½ cup of water or as per your desired consistency.
- Cook on low heat till the mixture thickens.
- Heat a tsp of oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida, shallots and curry leaves one by one and fry till nice aroma emerges. Pour the seasoning over the kuzhambu and switch off the flame.
- • You can skip shallots if you don’t like.
- • You can use toor dal instead of moong dal.
- • You can pressure cook drumstick leaves along with dal and follow the same procedure. Be sure not to overcook the leaves.
Ingredients list for cooking poricha kuzhambu.
Pressure cook moong dal with turmeric powder and salt for 3 whistles or until done. Mash it well and set aside.
Dry roast cumin seeds, peppercorns, bengal gram, coriander seeds and dry red chilies and finally coconut until color changes. Do not burn the spices.
Cool down the spices and blend everything to a fine paste adding little water.
Heat a tsp of oil and once hot add in the fenugreek seeds and green chilies.
Add the drumstick leaves and saute for a minute.
Add the cooked dal to the pan and mix.
Next, add in the ground coconut paste.
Add salt to taste.
Add some water and allow it to boil till the mixture get thickened.
Finally, heat oil for tempering and crackle mustard seeds and then urad dal, asafoetida, curry leaves and onions. Fry till onions turn glossy.
Pour the tempering over the kuzhambu and switch off the flame.
Serve hot with steamed rice.