Kozhukattai is a healthy snack because it is not deep fried. It is steamed and free of oil. Masala kozhukattai is nothing but rice balls made in mini sizes and tempered with spices. Usually Kozhukattai recipe is so soft and it can be made in both sweet and savory.
Mini kozhukattai can be prepared with leftover idiyapam/ kozhukattai dough. You can also make use of millet flour to make these cute and delicious mini kozhukattais. Use masala based on the spiciness you wish. So, let’s start making these cuties….
- Heat a tsp of oil and roast the ingredients listed under "to roast and grind" for a minute without burning the spices. Finally add coconut and switch off the flame. It will get roasted in the heat itself.
- Cool the mixture and grind to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Dry roast rice flour for a couple of minutes. No need to heat for a long time.
- Boil water with salt and once it comes to a nice rolling boil. use the water and mix the flour and form into a smooth idiyappam flour like consistency.
- Roll into small balls.
- Heat a idly steamer and steam the rolled balls until soft. Set aside.
- Heat oil and once hot splutter mustard seeds followed by urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the steamed balls and mix it.
- Now add required masala and mix well to combine.
- Check for salt.
- Serve hot.
- - Store the left over masala if any in an airtight jar.
- - You can shape the kozhukattai into any size you wish.
- - You can replace rice flour with millet flour.
List of required ingredients.
Heat a tsp of oil and roast channa dal and urad dal till it turns its color. Then add cumin seeds, coriander seeds and dry red chilies. fry for a minute without burning the spices. Finally add coconut and switch off the flame. It will get roasted in the heat itself.
Cool down the spices and transfer everything to a spice blender and grind to a powder.
Dry roast the rice flour for a couple of minutes. No need to heat it for a long time.
Boil a cup of water with salt. Use hot water and mix the flour to a idiyapam dough like consistency.
Make small balls out of it. Steam the rolled balls in a idiyappam maker until soft. Set aside.
Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal followed by curry leaves and asafoetida. Add the steamed balls and mix gently.
Sprinkle the ground masala powder and required salt.
Tasty kozhukattai is ready!