Maravalli kizhangu is well known in South India for chips. It is one of the a famous Kerala recipes. Today, we are going to cook a Tamilnadu style of maravalli kizhangu with onions. It can be paired as an side for rice or eaten as an evening snack. Let’s start making it!
- Clean tapioca by removing the center vein. Chop it into cubes and wash it well.
- Transfer the chopped pieces ti a pressure cooker along with turmeric powder and salt.
- Wait for the pressure to subsidies and strain the water. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Then add urad dal, dry red chilies, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Now add onions and crushed garlic and cook till onions become translucent.
- Add the cooked tapioca and mix it well to combine.
- Check for salt and switch off the flame.
- - Coconut oil tastes the best.
- - Authentic kerala kappa recipe will not add onions. We are adding it as a variation.
- - You can add grated coconut finally.
List of required ingredients.
In a pressure cooker, add kappa, turmeric powder and required salt. Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Do not overcook it. Wait for the pressure to release Strain the water and keep aside.
Heat coconut oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds followed by urad dal, dry red chilies, asafoetida and curry leaves.
Add onions and crushed garlic and fry till translucent.
Now add the cooked tapioca and mix it well to combine. Check for salt and switch off the flame and serve.
Tapioca pirattal is ready.