Today we are going to see a very nutritional rasam recipe made with kollu/ Horsegram. Kollu has many medicinal benefits. There is one popular Tamil proverb, “Ilaithavanuku ellu, koluthavanukku kollu” meaning that kollu will reduce all the bad fat in the body. It is used to cure cold, cough, chest congestions and for treating obesity. Since it produces more heat in the body, it is not advisable during pregnancy. Try this healthy rasam and feed your family and kids!
Let’s start cooking.
- Wash and soak the kollu for 6 hours or preferably overnight. Pressure cook it for 5 to 6 whistles or until done.
- Take a spoonful of cooked kollu and crush it coarsely.
- Crush the garlic cloves and set aside.
- Heat a tsp of ghee and once hot, splutter mustard seeds and crushed pepper – cumin seeds.
- Add curry leaves, crushed garlic and dry red chilies.
- Then add asafoetida and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add tomato and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tamarind extract and mix it.
- Now add the crushed kollu and the kollu water used to cook them.
- Add salt to taste and some coriander leaves.
- Allow the rasam to boil untill it starts to bubble up and raise high.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot.
- • You can add rasam powder if you wish.a
- • You can use the remaining cooked kollu for making sundal or any other recipe.
Keep all the ingredients ready.
Wash and soak the kollu in water for minimum 6 hours or preferably overnight. Pressure cook it for 5 to 6 whistles or until tender.
Wait for the pressure to release and take a handful of cooked kollu. Crush it coarsely with a mortar and pestle or in a mixie.
Heat ghee in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and crushed pepper – cumin once hot.
Add curry leaves followed by dry red chilies and crushed garlic cloves. Mix it.
Add asafoetida and turmeric powder and saute it.
Add tomato and cook till mushy.
Now add the crushed kollu and mix it.
Add the kollu cooked water along with tamarind extract.
Add required salt and a handful of coriander leaves. Allow it to boil till bubbles start to come. Switch off the flame and serve hot with rice.
Healthy kollu rasam is ready!