There are few recipes which are so easy to make and yet have abundance of goodness in it. Kambu malt powder is certainly one among them. Millets have numerous health benefits and not to mention all the benefits that come along with them. We have already discussed enough of it. Today I am going to share an energy drink powder made with kambu. Store this powder and make the drink instantly whenever needed. Kambu malt can be served to all age groups and babies from 9 months onwards. It is so good to introduce this drink for babies.
*Keep in mind while feeding babies:
- Consult your pediatrician before introducing any new food to your babies.
- When you start, begin with a tsp of kambu powder and check whether the baby shows any allergic reaction. Wait for 3 days and if there is no allergy, increase the amount gradually.
You must have already seen how to make homemade kambu flour post. Use that flour to make this malt powder. You can even use store bought kambu flour to make this powder. Kambu malt is a perfect drink during summer. I prefer to add palm sugar instead of using the regular white sugar.
Click to see how to make kambu malt.
Here is how to make homemade kambu malt powder!
- Dry roast the kambu flour for 2 to 3 minutes until the raw smell goes away.
- Blanch the almonds by soaking it in hot water for 5 minutes. Drain and wash it in cold water and peel off its skin. Pat dry on a kitchen towel and dry roast till it is hot to touch.
- Dry roast the cashews for a minute till hot.
- In a mixer add the roasted almonds, cashews, palm sugar, cardamom and saffron and pulse it for 10 seconds stopping in between.
- Mix the powdered nuts with the kambu flour and sieve it,
- Collect the leftover hard particles and grind again and again.
- Sieve it and store it in an airtight container.
- • Sieving the mixture is optional.
- • Cool down completely and then store it.
- • It stays good for 3 months if handled properly. You can also store it in refrigerator.
- • Do not dry roast or grind the cashews for a long time as it may oozes out oil.
- • You can add palm jaggery for sweetness.
- • You can add any nuts like pistachios or walnuts.
- • You can add a tsp of dry ginger powder also.
Ingredients required for making kambu malt powder.
Dry roast the kambu powder for a couple of minutes till nice aroma comes. Set aside.
Now blanch the almonds. Soak the almonds in hot water for 5 minutes. Drain and wash it in cold water. Using a kitchen towel to pat dry them. Peel the skin and pat dry it.
Dry roast the cashews and almonds separately for a couple of minutes until it is hot to touch. Cool down completely.
Now add the roasted cashews, almonds, saffron, cardamom and palm sugar in a mixer. Pulse it for 10 seconds till it is powdered finely. Do not grind continuously as the cashews may leave out oil. Mix this powdered nuts with the roasted kambu flour.
Sieve it. Grind the leftover hard particles again and again and sieve it.Store it in an airtight container.