Asafoetida is a staple ingredient in Indian cooking and most commonly used in vegetarian recipes. It is consumed as a digestion aid and added to the food at the time of tempering. It is made by scraping the exposed root of a plant in the carrot family. The sap is dried and then crushed for commercial purpose. It has a strong pungent smell and should be stored in an airtight container.
It has so many health benefits such as
- It treats numerous women ailment,
- Cure respiratory disorders,
- Controls high blood pressure,
- Lowers blood sugar level and
- Protects against cancer and so on.
It is advised to add half a teaspoon of asafoetida powder with a glass of water and drink it on an empty stomach to reap its health benefits. For babies who is suffering from gas and indigestion problem, asafoetida is the best homemade remedy. But don’t give it internally. Mix a pinch of asafoetida with a drop of water and apply on baby’s stomach. The pain will disappear in no time.
Every Kitchen will have a store bought asafoetida powder. The problem is that the aroma will disappear after some days. Also, store bought asafoetida powder has artificial colors and maida in it. My mom make asafetida powder by drying the compound asafoetida in direct sunlight and then break it into tiny pieces using a hammer. But it is a time consuming process. I learnt this method from my neighbor and can be made within 30 minutes. Believe me, homemade asafoetida powder will retain its wonderful aroma till its last use.
Do try this at home and you will never ever write the name of asafoetida powder in your grocery list.
- Heat a tawa and once hot, place the compound hing in it.
- Heat the block for a couple of minutes on medium flame. Flip and heat both sides. You will find white spots here and there.
- Continue heating till it becomes tender and flexible. By now, the whole compound asafoetida will have spots all over and changed its color into pale yellow.
- Cool little bit and when the heat is hand bearable, break the whole asafoetida block into small pieces using your fingers.
- Again transfer these pieces to the hot tawa and heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Each pieces will enlarge and puff up. At this time switch off the flame.
- Transfer the pieces to a plate and cool them completely.
- Grind it to a fine powder.
- Store it in an airtight container.
- • Be sure not to burn the block while heating.
- • You can add ½ tsp of sea salt while grinding the pieces.
- • Avoid storing in large quantities as it may lose its flavor.
- • Cool down completely and then grind it.
- • Be sure that the mixer and storage container is dry without any moisture in it.
Tack a full pack of compound asafoetida.
Heat a tawa. Once hot, place the compound asafoetida on it.
Heat it for a couple of minutes. You will find white spots here and there.
Heat it till the whole block is tender and flexible. It will take around 4 to 5 minutes.
Transfer it to a plate and cool down slightly. It will become elastic and easy to pull.
When it is hand bearable, break them into small pieces using your fingers
Again bring all these pieces to fire and heat it for 2 to 3 minutes.
Heat them till each pieces will enlarge and puff up like popcorn. Switch off the flame.
Cool down completely and transfer the pieces to a mixer. Grind it to a fine powder.
Store it in an airtight container.