Flax seed is one of the richest sources of plant based omega 3 fatty acids which is found in fish. Hence flax seed is an alternative for vegetarians. Flax seed council of India has advised not to take more than 2 tbsp of flax seed a day. Pregnant/ breastfeeding ladies are advised not to take this flax seed. Flax seed can be eaten as whole/unground seeds. Sprouted and ground flax seeds are more beneficial to absorb the fiber it contains.
Flax seed contain anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids along with anti oxidant substances called lignans that help promote hormonal balance in addition to several other benefits of flax seed.Many recipes can be made with flax seed. But today, we are going to start with a simple powder made up of flax seed. This can be used along with rice or as idly/dosa podi also.
- Dry roast all the ingredients one by one till nice aroma emerges.
- Cool down completely.
- Transfer it to a mixie jar and grind coarsely.
- Store it in an airtight jar.
- - Add red chilies based on the spiciness you wish.
- - Use rock salt.
- - Store it in a clean, dry jar( glass jar, preferably).
- - Pregnant/breastfeeding ladies should not take this.
- - Do not exceed 2 tbsps of flax seed intake a day.
- - Grind it coarsely leaving gap in between. Continuous grinding can cause the flax seed to leave out oil resulting in lumpy powder.
Dry roast flax seed for 5 to 7 minutes or till you hear popping sound of the seeds.
Dry roast urad dal, channa dal and peanuts seperately till it changes it color.
Then dry roast cumin seeds, sesame seeds and curry leaves.
Add dry red chilies to the pan along with asafoetida and dry roast it for a couple of minutes. Then add garlic and fry till no moisture remains in it.
Finally add tamarind and heat it for a minute or two.
Allow everything to cool nicely.
Transfer everything to mixie jar and add required salt. Grind coarsely. Store it in a clean, dry jar.
Flax seed powder is ready.