There is nothing better than a fish fry for a gorgeous non vegetarian meal. There are many different types of fish fry made in Southern part of India. Some will use ground masala paste and make a thick marinate on fish. But, today, we are going to make a very simple, basic fish fry that anyone can make. I am using a very simple marinate with readily available spice powders in everyone’s kitchen. The secret for a good fish fry is to leave the marinate for a longer time. Longer the time, juicier the fry!
My husband loves eating whole small fish than big ones. I am using small red snapper. You can use any kind of big/small fish and follow the same procedure for frying them. Hope you will enjoy the recipe!
Check out other fish recipes.
- Wash and clean the fish using salt and lemon juice.
- Pat dry the fish with the kitchen towel to remove off the moisture.
- Make a slit in the fish in order to absorb the spices.
- In a bowl combine all the spice powders.
- Squeeze half of the lemon and make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on all sides of the fish.
- Allow it to marinate for 30 minutes or preferably overnight.
- Heat some oil for frying.
- Once hot, transfer the marinated fish to the hot tawa and fry .
- Flip and fry both sides till it cooked and changes dark in color.
- - Use spice powders according to the taste.
- - You can cut the head past of the fish if you don't like.
- - Never use water for mixing the paste. Then the marinade will not stick to the batter.
- - Leave the marinate for longer time for best results.
- - If making for the next day, you can refrigerate the marinated fish. But before frying, bring it to room temperature
- - You can deep fry or shallow fry the fish.
- - Do not flip the fish immediately while cooking. Let it cook on one side and then flip and cook on the other. It may tend to break.
Wash and make a slit across in the fish skin. This will helps to absorb the spices inside the skin.
Now let’s make a paste. In a bowl, add coriander powder, red chili powder and pepper powder.
Also ad ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and required salt. Add lemon juice and make a thick paste.
Apply this paste on the fish and allow it to marinate from 30 minutes or maximun overnight in fridge.
Heat oil for frying and place the marinated fish.
Fry till fish changes its color and crispy. Finally add curry leaves for garnish.
Tasty fish fry is ready!