I am sure none of you are new to this deliciously spicy fried chicken 65 dish from South India. A quick and tasty appetizer made with simple ingredients that every Indian household has in their kitchen. Chicken 65 is usually prepared with boneless chicken. This dish is made by marinating the chicken pieces with spices and then deep fried.
I have heard many stories behind the name Chicken 65. One such story was that the chicken used for this recipe was 65 days old. Another one was 65 ingredients were used to cook this recipe. Do not check my ingredients list as I have not used 65 items !!
I am not sure but the real reason is it was originated from the famous Chennai Buhari hotel on the year 1965. Hence the name.
For making this recipe, marinate the chicken pieces in spices for at least 2 hours preferably overnight in refrigerator. The chicken has to absorb all the spices for a juicy outcome. Also, I have not used any food color or ajinomto. Many will use a beaten egg while marinating. As I don’t like the flavor I usually skip it all the time. This is my way of cooking the recipe and I have used only corn flour and no maida.
Let’s start making this juicy and spicy recipe!
- Clean and dice the chicken into 1 inch size pieces.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients except oil and curry leaves and mix it to a paste.
- Marinate the chicken pieces in this paste for at least 2 hours.
- Heat enough oil in a pan to cover the chicken pieces.
- Drop the marinated chicken in batches and deep fry till golden on a medium flame. It will take around 5 to 7 minutes.
- Do not crowd the pan.
- Add curry leaves in every batch at the end.
- Drain them in a kitchen towel.
- Serve it with lemon wedges and onion slices.
- • Use kashmiri red chilli powder or food color for a bright colored recipe.
- • Do not overcook the chicken as it may tend to become hard.
- • You can add a beaten egg while marinating the chicken as egg will soften the chicken.
- • Always try to use fresh chicken instead of frozen, as it may contains preservatives.
- • Maximum result can be gained if marination is left overnight or 8 hours in refrigerator.
Ingredients required for cooking chicken 65.
In a bowl mix ginger garlic paste, corn flour, curd, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, lemon juice and salt to a smooth paste.
Add the boneless chicken pieces in it.
Leave it to marinate overnight (or at least 2 hours)
Add enough oil for frying in a kadai.
Add few chicken pieces and fry for 5 to 7 minutes. Do for the entire pieces.
Add curry leaves at the end of frying each batch.
Fry till golden and crisp.
Spicy chicken 65 is ready to be served!