Payasam is a much loved recipe for everyone. It is usually served after a grand meal. Apart from semiya payasam or paruppu payasam, we can use vegetables and fruits also to make payasam. Today we are going to make a delicious payasam using carrots.
Carrots have natural sweetness in it. Making payasam with a sweet ingredient will make the recipe even more delicious. Let’s start making it!
- Pressure cook carrots with enough water till soft.
- Soak almonds in hot water and peel the skin.
- Grind together the cooked carrots and almonds to a smooth puree. Set aside.
- Melt ghee and fry cashews and raisins till brown and set aside.
- To the same pan, add some more ghee and transfer the carrot- almond mixture and saute for a couple of minutes. Add water if you want.
- Then, add milk and cook till it thickens.
- For sweetness, add condensed milk and mix well.
- Finally, when the payasam becomes thick, add fried cashews, raisins, saffron and cardamom pods.
- Drizzle 2 tsps of ghee and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot or chill!
- - Instead of pressure cooker, you can use open pan for cooking carrots. Anyway, it will take time so, I used a cooker.
- - You can replace almonds with cashews.
- - Carrots will have raw smell even though it is cooked. Adding nuts like almonds along with carrots will help to get rid of the smell. Also makes the payasam creamier.
- - You can use sugar also for sweetness.
- - This payasam tastes best when served chilled!
List of required ingredients.
First, Pressure cook the carrot pieces in enough water till soft.
soak almonds on hot water for 15 minutes. Peel the skin and keep aside.
Grind together the cooked carrots and peeled almonds to a smooth paste. Add water if required.
Melt ghee in a pan and fry cashews and raisins till brown and set aside.
Add some ghee and transfer the carrot- almond puree to the same pan. Saute for a couple of minutes to remove the raw smell of the carrot.
Now add milk and let it boil till it thickens.
Add condensed milk now. You can add sugar also for sweetness.
Finally, add the fried nuts, saffron strands and cardamom pods. Mix well. Drizzle 2 tsps of ghee and switch off the flame.
Chill and serve!!!