Black gram has many health benefits and it is one of the forgotten dal by many of us. I remembered my mom used these black gram for grinding idly batter. But since it involves much time for cleaning, everyone opts for white urad dal. Since the skin is removes, it lacks many of its health benefits. So, today we are going to make a very simple rice with this black gram. It can be a substitute for our regular variety rices. It can be packed in lunch and tiffin boxes. Also it requires very few ingredients.
Do try this recipe for sure…
- Dry roast the ingredients given under " to roast and grind". Cool down completely and grind it to a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and once hot, splutter mustard seeds.
- Then add in balck urad dal, cumin seeds, curry leaves, peanuts and asafoetida.
- Now add cooked rice and required black dal powder.
- Check for salt and mix everything nicely.
- Black urad dal rice is ready!
- - You can even grind the powder finely.
- - Adding peanuts are optional.
- - You can add cashews also.
- - Use leftover rice or freshly cooked rice.
- - Gingelly oil gives a nice taste to this dish. If you are not comfortable, use regular cooking oil instead.
For making, black dal podi, dry roast black dal for a couple of minutes. When dal changes it color, remove off from heat and follow roasting channa dal, peppercorns.
Dry red chilies and coconut. Fry for a minute and switch off the flame. Let it col down completely.
Grind it to a coarse powder and set aside.
For tempering, heat some gingelly oil and once hot, splutter mustard seeds followed by black dal and cumin seeds.
Next goes in curry leaves, peanuts and asafoetida.
Now add the cooked rice, ground black dal powder and required salt. Mix everything well to combine.
Instant black dal rice is ready!